• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Full Metal Panic's Shoji Gatoh Is Unnerved to Be the Rare Light Novelist With Short Titles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RommieSG

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:25 pm Reply with quote
It becomes quite the mouthful when discussing the anime series that come afterwards as well. Series, more often than not, are truncated down to just a couple words. It used to be cute when series were shortened to things like Kare Kano.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:06 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to poke fun at excessive LN titles.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Thats because Gatoh is a novelist, not a web novel writer. Being a rare talent that rose to prominence using traditional methods.

I wonder how many light novel series would not get published if the international market didn't need to feed the beast. The insatiable drive to find material to make anime for to sell over seas seems to have warped the market. And the E-book translation market is growing.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry,Gatoh my friend, it's okay to be a pillar of sanity in an insane world.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:34 am Reply with quote
They can use long titles because they know the Japanese fans love to do contractions anyways

I mean, people don't contract in English like

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood

Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Hellbound, Flesh-Eating Subhumanoid Zombified Living Dead, Part 2: In Shocking 2-D

All people do is take 1 or 2 words from it and use that as the title
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Uggghhhhhh.... what I wouldn't give to see a proper finale or full adaptation of Full Metal Panic in anime form. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gamen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:39 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
They can use long titles because they know the Japanese fans love to do contractions anyways
I mean, people don't contract in English like
[..]
All people do is take 1 or 2 words from it and use that as the title

Another fun one I learned recently: The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates. Written by Himself.

I find the long light novel titles silly, even though I know there are reasons for them. And with romance novels, "How to Marry a Marquess" isn't exactly a title that screams "I'm not one of thousands of generic, interchangeable regency romances" ...but it's not like most of these light novels aren't generic and interchangeable, so they could all be named "The Adventures of <insert> in Another World" and have truth in advertising.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Uggghhhhhh.... what I wouldn't give to see a proper finale or full adaptation of Full Metal Panic in anime form. Crying or Very sad

Maybe they'll do it if FMP: Family has a decent take off.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't find it anywhere anymore, but I could've sworn there was a comment somewhere from Sigsawa (author of Kino's Journey) that "Danshi Kousei de Urekko Light Novel Sakka wo Shiteiru keredo, Toshishita no Classmate de Seiyu no Onna no Ko ni Kubi wo Shimerareteiru" was his deliberate attempt at creating the longest LN title at the time, (which was uh.... over 10 years ago, so I imagine it must have been dethroned already).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1